The Child who became the Greatest of all Kings- Series 1
Alfred Papapreye Diete-Spiff was born on 30th July 1942
He became the Governor of Rivers State at 24 years and 10months. He was Rivers state Governor from 1967-1975.
I said 24 years and 10months
24 years ooh!!
He was made The Military Administrator on May 28th 1967(A day after Rivers State was created). While He was still trying to find his feet, The Civil war Broke out; Still He refused to be distracted and Never Gave up on delivering Good Governance to Rivers People.
Commander Diete-Spiff ran a Government on exile in Lagos. His office was based at No. 24 Queens Drive, Ikoyi, Lagos. He diligently managed the affairs of Rivers State from Lagos.
When Port Harcourt Fell, The Baifran Soldiers fled Port Harcourt when the city was captured by the Third Marine Commando Division in May 1968. Then Olusegun Obasanjo was the General Officer Commanding Third Commando Division in 1969, with headquarters in Port Harcourt, and was seen as one of the hands guiding the then Rivers State governor, Lt-Commander Alfred Diete-Spiff although It had been properly handed back to Spiff on 1st September 1968.
Towards the end of the War in 1970, Spiff had already assembled the Best Brains to Run the State with him.
ADMINISTRATION: SPIFF AS AN ADMINISTRATOR
Even At 25, He was the true definition of an administrator which can be expressed in the Acronym- POSDCORB
At 27(After the war) Spiff was a Total Definition of a Smart Administrator.
Diette-Spiff selected the best brains to man the various ministries, departments and agencies of the state government, and made significant milestones in virtually all sectors.
With the Likes of Captain Elechi Amadi,Edward Kobani,Obi Wali and Saro Wiwa. You know you have born Leaders and Technocrats who the Governor listens to as part of his Team.
Do you know his Cabinet could adequately serve the Federal Government efficiently?
His State Executive Council has been the Best EVER since the Inception of Rivers State 50 Years ago till This Day.
The Council was made up of the following members from different tribes to balance up the Issues of Marginalization.
1. Commander Alfred P. Diete-Spiff, a Nembe (now in Bayelsa State) was Military Governor
2. Mr. W. P. Daniel-Kalio from Okrika Secretary to Government and Head of Sevice
3. Chief Harold J. R. Dappa-Biriye an Ibani from Bonny was Commissioner for Agriculture, Fisheries and Natural Resources.
5. Dr. N. B. Graham-Douglas A Kalabari was Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice.
6. Chief S. F. Kombo-Igbeta from Nembe was Commissioner for Establishments.
7. Dr. Lawrence Ekpebu an Izon (now in Bayelsa State) was Commissioner for Finance
8. Dr. W. T. Wakama was Commissioner for Information and Local Government.
9. Dr. Obi Wali, an Ikwerre, was Commissioner for Rehabilitation.
10. Mr. K. B. Saro-Wiwa, an Ogoni son, was Commissioner for Education. Later Works
11. Chief E. J. A. Oriji, an Ikwerre, was Commissioner for Economic Development, Trade and Industry.
12. Mr. Nwobidike Nwanodi, also an Ikwerre, was Commissioner for Health.
13. Mr. Isaac Dema, from Abua was Chairman, Civil Service Commission.
Later, Folks like Sir.Edward Kobani joined the cabinet
This State Executive Council was a balanced one along ethnic lines and depth of Intellectualism.
This was a 24 Year Old Boy who redefined the Standard of Leadership and Raised the Bar soooo High that No one after him has Reached
Digest This first…This is just Appetizer
The main Course will blow your mind away..
To be continued very shortly…